"Today, Tennessee Walking Horses are known throughout the industry
as the breed that shows abused and tortured horses."

~ Jim Heird, Ph.D., Do Right By The Horse, February 2010

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity,
you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."

~ St. Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

NEWS and ARTICLES - SHOW Allows Jamey Thompson to Continue to Show Horses

From the Walking Horse Report. See my comments below.

**********

SHOW Receives Thompson Letter
Wednesday, March 02, 2011
SHELBYVILLE, Tenn.

The SHOW HIO recently received a hardship request from Jamey Thompson asking for a reduction in his suspension levied by SHOW in October 10, 2010.

Thompson was suspended for one year and fined $2,500 and placed on probation through October 11, 2013 for his conduct violations (non-HPA violations) that occurred in the warm-up ring at the 2010 Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration.

In response to Thompson’s hardship, which would affect the customers in his barn and the show circuit in California, and Thompson’s public letter of apology, the SHOW board has decided to reduce Thompson’s suspension.

Thompson was removed from suspension March 1, 2011 but will continue to be on probation through October 2013 and will still be responsible for the $2,500 fine.

Below is the public letter of apology from Thompson to the SHOW HIO:

----------

Dr. Stephen Mullins
President
SHOW Horse Industry Organization
P.O. Box 167Shelbyville,TN

Dear Dr. Mullins,

I am writing to make a very humble request on my behalf, on my Dad’s behalf and on behalf of our stable customers and the horse show circuit in California.

I sincerely apologize for my unacceptable conduct toward SHOW officials in the inspection area at the 2010 Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration. I am very aware that what I did was wrong and I have taken steps to correct my mistakes. Therefore at this time I would respectfully request that you re-visit my penalty and request that the SHOW board consider modifying my suspension.

California horse shows are really struggling and I fear that without the participation of all stables on the West Coast the shows will be out of a sufficient number of horses and owners will begin to sell their horses and leave the industry.

I know and appreciate the tremendous improvements SHOW has brought about on behalf of our industry and I commend you and the Board for your efforts on behalf of all trainers and owners. I promise to uphold the high standards and goals of SHOW and to support and work with you to make this industry all it can be.

Please understand that in asking for this suspension reduction I am in no way excusing my behavior and I will strive to continue to do everything possible to maintain a higher standard expected by my peers and the Tennessee Walking Horse Industry to improve all aspects of this wonderful breed of horse that I love.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jamey Thompson

**********

Well, at least we know California BL horse shows are struggling...this is a step in the right direction. STAY AWAY from Thompson's barn, Big Lick shows and SHOW affiliated shows, CA riders: join sound horse clubs such as NPWHA instead!

I would like to thank you, SHOW, for continuing to support Russ Thompson and his son in the efforts to continue to tarnish this breed. If you may recall, R. Thompson was suspended due to his crappy conduct at the 2006 Celebration by the HPA. While his sentence wasn't nearly enough, I thought that perhaps you were being more serious in your suspension with Jamey, his son. Apparently, you aren't. And obviously you are being swayed by his statement that CA shows are losing revenue, which is so precious to continuing your work to allow HPA violators to continue to show and be judges and DQPs. Reducing J. Thompson's sentence to a probation IS NOT ENOUGH. He should not be allowed to show at all. Words are words--he can write whatever he wants on a piece of paper. But obviously his actions were loud enough that you at first were serious about the consequences. However, now you've just proven to everyone that they can also get away with a slap on the wrist and a measly fine if they just say they're sorry. Start being serious about this, SHOW, and I'll start taking you seriously as actually wanting to help the horse and this industry.

3 comments:

carol said...

I too am totally against soring, stacked shoes, padding and other artificial equiptment. However, I feel compelled to tell you my story because not everything is as one sided as folks might like to believe. For example, let me tell you about my experience with Russ Thompson and the folks at the Russ Thompson Stables. I am a disabled rider but, until about two years ago I could not ride at all. Why? Because no local stable wanted to take the risk, or make the time or effort to help me ride. However, because of Russ Thompson I am now able to ride my nice safe older horse at least two-three times a week.
Is RTS the only place to board a horse? Well no, not for most folks. But it is and was the only place that was willing to help me. Although I am not a show rider, I love to ride horses and if I could not, it would greatly impact the quality of my life- a life already severely limited by my disabilities. In fact, if it were not for RTS and the kind folks who work there, I could not ride at all. Moreover, without the exercise my horse helps me to achieve, I am sure I would soon be confined to a wheelchair.

For the Tennessee Walking Horse said...

I'm glad to hear of your story, Carol, but I have had some horrible personal experiences concerning Thompson that I won't go into here. Sometimes people will help others as a way to cover what's really going on behind closed doors. While I can't say that in the case of Thompson, I can only say what I've experienced. But with his son who works at his barn being an HPA violator and after the way he acted at the Celebration, I would never take my business to him.

carol said...

I must admit I've never been to a Celebration, so I don't know what went on there.

Blog Archive